Pages

October 27, 2012

My current obsession



Bollywood.

I don't know what drove me to type that word on YouTube, but one thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was checking out a good load of Indian movies at the local library.  I've watched  several Indian films now, and I cannot get over how alien everything is to me. Rarely have I felt the anxiety that arises from not understanding someone.

Living in America and having roots from Mexico, I am so used to adapting culturally to anything because it's always felt easy. It feels so strange to me to not know what these people are saying. And I find their dances  so foreign and weird, yet so fascinatingly beautiful at the same time. Even Aishwarya Rai's extreme falsetto has become so perfect and beautiful to my ears- so animated and harmonious.

It's always so easy to judge another culture- to make fun of their strange clothing, dances, and language-- how pathetic it all seems now. And really, how selfish have I been, who doesn't care to learn about other people's culture, yet expect the whole world to be aware of every Western trend?

.... And these thoughts have been running through my head (not like they haven't before, though).  In the end, I really can't believe how much I am loving these little Indian films. The Indian culture is truly beautiful in an indescribable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment